Sunday, April 16, 2017

KPCC 83.9 AirTalk’s Friday FilmWeek, NPR LA


Here is the link to the broadcast!
https://www.scpr.org/programs/filmweek/2017/04/14/56194/mars-in-the-movies-a-history-on-how-the-planet-has/

AirTalk's Web Page
At my wife’s recommendation, my publisher McFarland’s publicist had sent Mars in the Movies: A History to Larry Mantle, the host of National Public Radio (Los Angeles)’s—KPCC Air Talk, including the Friday segment “Film Week”.  We listen to Larry in the car whenever the timing of our driving corresponds with his show.

Well, what do you know? Last Tuesday I received an e-mail from Jacklyn Kim, a news clerk at KPCC, with the subject line  “INTERVIEW REQUEST - KPCC Radio”


Jacklyn Kim
That got my attention!

Jacklyn invited me to be on the show, and when I accepted, she asked me to share three or four iconic moments from Mars movies that are available on YouTube. I sent her  five (I include them at the end of this article):

Anyway, Jacklyn proved to be very nice, guiding me through the process. It was only a fifteen minute segment, but I’d never been interviewed before, so the guidance proved to be just what I needed to stay calm.

Fast forward to Friday, we drove the 70 miles or so to the NPR building in Pasadena (where you’ll also find the Rose Bowl, the Rose Parade, and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, where I used to work for many years!).

During a two-minute break in the show, quickly I found myself in a tiny room (a sound booth I guess you’d call it) with headsets on and a microphone about an inch from my face sitting opposite Larry Mantle. He was a gentleman, greeting me, and quickly explained the flow of the segment. 

Larry Mantle

Justin Chang
Peter Rainer
To my immediate left was Justin Chang, renowned Los Angeles Times film critic, and to his left was Peter Rainer, the equally renowned Christian Science Monitor film critic.

I could hardly catch my breath when the show began with a mashup of Danny Elfman’s theme for Tim Burton’s Mars Attacks! and the trailer of The Angry Red Planet (1959) announcing the miracle of CINEMAGIC. A few seconds later, Larry explains what it was we’d just heard; then he introduces me and the book.

 







 
Timewise, all four of us spoke about equally. Plus call-ins were encouraged and several people named their favorite Mars movies. One person shouted out an I Love Lucy episode that was totally new to me. I would have loved to have talked more about the book. Still it was a great experience.
 
Towards the end of the broadcast, they played the iconic Gene Berry clip from The War of the Worlds, and shortly after, the program ended with Marvin the Martian.

Gene Berry telling Les Tremayne, “Take my word for it, 
General!...You better let Washington know!"


Here is the link to the full broadcast so you can listen to your heart’s content!:


I hope you liked this digression from the normal feast of Mars film miscellania!

ICONIC CLIPS THAT I SENT TO THE RADIO STATION

They didn’t use Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of the War of the Worlds probably because Richard Burton’s narration would have been too long, and besides, it isn’t technically a movie!


The War of the Worlds (1953) (iconic sequence that includes Gene Berry emphatically ordering “Take my word for it, Genera!”
2:38

Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of the War of the Worlds (Richard Burton’s iconic narration followed by swelling band and orchestra)
 3:34 - 4:40

Haredevil Hare (Marvin the Martian)
 It’s a great 30 snippet from the original cartoon.

The Angry Red Planet (Trailer)
References to “Cinemagic”

Mars Attacks! (Title Sequence, see my Mars Attacks! post)
Full of amazing music with choir and theremin (see pp. 185-186 in my book)

P.S.: The whole thing moved so fast that it was only afterward that I realized that I had quoted Peter Rainer twice in my book, but I didn't make that connection during the 15 minutes when were all together. His quote about THE MARTIAN perfectly encapsulates my own view: "Given the enormousness of its subject, there is a radical lack of awe in the movie." Too bad I didn’t put 2 + 2 together earlier.  <<<SIGH>>>




Formal Notice: All images, quotations, and video/audio clips used in this blog and in its individual posts are used either with permissions from the copyright holders or through exercise of the doctrine of Fair Use as described in U.S. copyright law, or are in the public domain. If any true copyright holder (whether person[s] or organization) wishes an image or quotation or clip to be removed from this blog and/or its individual posts, please send a note with a clear request and explanation to eely84232@mypacks.net and your request will be gladly complied with as quickly as practical.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite anyone who likes my blog to comment. God bless!